Monday, May 5, 2014

Diane Keaton On Woody Allen Controversy: "I Believe My Friend"


In her recent open letter to the New York Times, adoptive daughter Dylan Farrow pointed a finger not only at her adoptive father Woody Allen, once again under allegations of sexual abuse, but also at Diane Keaton: "You knew me when I was a little girl, Diane Keaton. Have you forgotten me?"

The 68-year-old actress, who had a brief fling with Allen in the 1970s just as their longterm screen partnership began, opened up about the deep and bitter feud between Allen and the Farrows, coming out in defense of the director in an interview with The Guardian. In regards to her name being dragged into Farrow's editorial, Keaton says: "Who else are they going to drag in? They have to drag someone in. I don't resent it, not for a second."

"I saw [Dylan] maybe three times," Keaton tells Guardian scribe Emma Brockes. "I didn't know her. It's not a bad accusation. I was never friends with Mia -- I was friendly." When asked how she feels about Dylan Farrow's accusation that she publicly defended the man who allegedly molested her, Keaton, classy, says, "I have nothing to say that about that. Except: I believe my friend."

Keaton also goes on to say "I love him" and that Allen is "the strongest person I've met in my life... He's made of steel." Who knew.

Earlier this year at the Golden Globes, Keaton accepted perennial awards-no-show Woody Allen's Cecil B. DeMille Award on his behalf. But her singsongy tribute to Allen came under a bit of social media fire. Allen's supposed biological son Ronan Farrow, a broadcast journalist who has been a key figure in digging up ancient wounds, tweeted during the show: "Missed the Woody Allen tribute -- did they put the part where a woman publicly confirmed he molested her at age 7 before or after Annie Hall?"

Though her film career isn't quite what it used to be --  "Annie Hall," "The Godfather," "Looking for Mr. Goodbar," and more -- Diane Keaton remains a class act who doesn't mince words and, as seen in this interview, is quite the artful dodger. But she's also honest.

Read Allen's adamantly self-defensive screed here. As of yet, the controversy hasn't shuttered his film career, as his "Magic in the Moonlight" hits theaters July 25.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...