Monday, April 28, 2014

Doc Rivers Unsure of Future With Clippers


Los Angeles Clippers coach Doc Rivers said Monday he believes owner Donald Sterling made the racial comments attributed to him in a controversy that has drawn worldwide scorn, and he is considering his own future with the franchise.

Rivers, who signed a three-year, $21 million contract last summer to become the Clippers coach and vice president of basketball operations, said he's unsure whether he'll return to the team if Sterling remains owner.
"I don't want to answer that question," Rivers said. "I don't know. This just happened."

The NBA has scheduled a news conference for 2 p.m. ET Tuesday to discuss details of its investigation into the audio recordings published by TMZ and Deadspin in which Sterling is alleged to have said that he doesn't want the woman on tape – identified as V. Stiviano – bringing black people to games.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Saturday the league's constitution allows it wide-ranging power to levy a variety of sanctions against Sterling, but he has not specified the possible punishment Sterling could be facing.

"This is a very important decision," Rivers said. "I hope it's a very strong message, and I believe that it will be. Other than that, I am going to let the league do what it needs to do."

Rivers said he believes Sterling did say the alleged comments – and also believes Sterling meant what was said.

"Yeah, I believe he said those things," Rivers said. "But I still want to make sure [the tape] hasn't been doctored. But, yes, is the answer. As far as believing those things, I heard what he said. Until someone says something differently, you usually listen to what people say.

"I haven't given him due process. I haven't given him an opportunity to explain himself. And quite honestly, I don't want him to or want him [to explain] to me. I'll wait for that further judgment."

Rivers said he was offered an opportunity to speak with Sterling.

He quickly declined.

"I have been asked if I need to talk to him, with Donald, and I passed, quite honestly," Rivers said. "I don't think right now is the time or the place for me, at least. So I just took a pass."

Sterling's estranged wife Rochelle also released a statement in which she attributed the statements to Sterling.
 
''Our family is devastated by the racist comments made by my estranged husband,'' Rochelle Sterling said in a statement to KABC-TV in Los Angeles. ''My children and I do not share these despicable views or prejudices. We will not let one man's small mindedness poison the spirit of the fans and accomplishments of the team in the city we love. We are doing everything in our power to stand by and support our Clippers team.''

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...