Friday, May 2, 2014

Ellen Page on Coming Out: 'I Did Not Anticipate Just How Happy I Would Feel'


It's been two months since Ellen Page came out at the Human Rights Campaign's Time to Thrive conference in Las Vegas, and the actress truly feels that a burden has been lifted.

As a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in a segment airing Thursday, Page was praised by Ellen DeGeneres for making the Valentine's Day speech. "I am so proud of you for coming out and I am happy for you," the talk show host told the actress. "I know what a scary thing that is. Your speech was incredible. I just thought it was the most brilliantly written speech."

Page, who DeGeneres said was emotional while a clip of the speech was airing, said of the moment that she was "the most nervous I’ve ever been in my life, for sure. I think my biggest fear of doing it was even just having a panic attack, quite frankly!" she said. "I was so ready to do it and, quite frankly, so excited to do it, so it was a combination of just such a thrill to finally be at that place in my life where I was able to do that, and grateful to have that moment -- and grateful to you, because you did it at a time where it was much harder and much scarier."

The X-Men: Days of Future Past actress explained that she always knew she would feel better after coming out, but she did admit, "I did not anticipate just how happy I would feel in just every aspect of my life -- just an ease and a comfort, and it’s really been quite extraordinary to feel just the shift. It was pretty much overnight too."

DeGeneres agreed, noting that it's because the declaration is simultaneously a release of shame. Page said that although she was previously content keeping her sexual orientation a secret from the public, she was actually ashamed of herself in a way: "I was carrying a tremendous amount of shame and guilt for not being out, and I felt isolated from the LGBT community, and now I don't."

Now, she's able to speak freely about past relationships while at work, and she enjoys hearing others' stories and sharing advice. "Those are really beautiful moments to get to share with people."

Watch the video below....

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...