Saturday, May 17, 2014

Whoopi Goldberg Just Got REAL About Jay Z vs. Solange


"I think Solange was quite ready for him to do whatever he was going to do. This is the thing: If anybody hits you, you have the right. I know that many people are raised in a different way—but if a woman hits you, to me, you have the right to hit her back ... If I slap a man, he has every right to slap me back."

--Whoopi Goldberg explains her feelings on Solange Knowles flipping out on Jay Z in the elevator on that fateful night.

By the way, Whoopi said that a few days ago on "The View," and before we start discussing it, just know that she still totally agrees with herself:

"Hey, I know everyone is freaking out like I said that they would when I said if someone hits you, you have the right to hit them back. I didn't say Jay Z should have hit Solange. I said if you hit a man that man has the right to hit you back. That's what I said. I stand by that. If you hit anybody, they have the right to hit you back. This idea that men aren't supposed to hit women—if you slap a man he has the right to slap you back. Now, not everyone is going to agree and I'm okay with that. But that's how I feel. That's why I don't slap anybody."

All right, now technically, Whoopi's correct. She's right, a lot of people don't like her view on this, but it does make sense. A woman hitting a man isn't somehow more acceptable because traditionally society has seen her gender as more gentle: a woman hitting a man is just as wrong as a man hitting a woman. But the real point here, a point that Whoopi should have expanded on, is that nobody should be hitting anybody. No matter the circumstances, no matter what the sex is of the people involved, getting angry and then dealing with that anger with physical violence is never acceptable. Solange flailing around and kicking at Jay Z, even though she seemingly didn't really harm him, isn't OK. If Jay Z had hauled off and punched her in the face, that wouldn't be OK, either.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...